Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Oh, Deer!

Now, I'm not above admitting that I can be (from time to time) grammatically challenged. Truth is, I've fallen a long way from grace since my high school and college days. In fact, I think it can add flavor to writing styles too- I mean, who uses perfect English in conversation, eh? But there comes a point where I must, MUST draw a line in the sand.


Make sure you check out this site for
 really funny photos for when you're
really ticked off.

That line, my friends, is mispronouncing the word 'ask.'

Ask? You question. Yes, ask.

Somewhere along the way, a good portion of the population of these great United States has decided 'ask' is actually pronounced, 'axe'. Sometimes I've even heard it 'axskes'.

People, really? You say this word and I conjure up images of you 'axing' someone. Let me assure you, they cannot answer any questions after you hack away at them with a sharp tool meant for splitting wood. It ain't gonna happen.

Oh, and by the way- it can go either way with Axe. I just prefer three-letter words!

Check out The Grammarist online to alleviate much of your grammar-related head scratching!

1 comment: